Dr Markus W. Gehring is University Lecturer in Law at the Law Faculty and Fellow and Director of Studies in Law at Hughes Hall. He currently serves as Deputy Director of the Centre for European Legal Studies in the Law Faculty and as Fellow of the Lauterpacht Centre for International Law. In POLIS he is a Senior Research Associate at the Centre for Rising Powers. He holds an LL.M from Yale and a Dr jur from Hamburg. He is a member of the Frankfurt Bar, and a former member of the Brussels Bar. He is a member of the International Law Association, German Branch, and serves on the ILA Committee on International Law on Natural Resources.
Prior to joining Hughes Hall, Dr Gehring was a University Lecturer in International Law at the Centre for International Studies and a Fellow in Law at Robinson College. His profile and publications can be found on the Law Faculty website: http://www.law.cam.ac.uk/people/academic/mw-gehring/1218
Dr Gehring has supervised POLIS students in areas related to the international trade, WTO, the European Union, International and EU law as well as sustainable development, including climate change.
Sustainable International Trade, Investment and Competition Law: Future Research Agendas inSustainable Development Law: Principles, Practices and Prospects, M.C. Cordonier Segger A. Khalfan (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004)
- "The Canadian Experience with Kyoto Mechanisms" w. B. Chambers in Making Kyoto Work: Legal Aspects of Implementing the Kyoto Protocol Mechanisms, D. Freestone & C. Streck, eds. (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2005).
- "Sustainable Developments in International Competition Law" p. 121 - 134 and "Counting Credits: Emissions Reductions Registries as a First Step towards Climate Change Regimes in North America?" p. 285 - 300 in Sustainable Justice: Reconciling Economic, Social and Environmental Law, M.C. Cordonier Segger & C. G. Weeramantry, eds. (The Hague: Martinus Nijhoff, 2004).
- Nachhaltigkeit durch Verfahren im Welthandel - Umwelt- und Nachhaltigkeitsprüfungen und die WTO, Markus Gehring (Diss. Universität Hamburg, 2005).
- "Technischen Handelsbarrieren", p. 347-362; "Sanitäre und Phytosanitäre Maßnahmen", 363-374 with Henning Jessen and "Mechanismus zur Überprüfung der Handelspolitik (TPRM)" p.567-576 und "Staatshandelsländer und -unternehmen", p. 295-304 in WTO-Recht - Ordnung der Weltwirtschaft, M. Hilf & S. Oeter (Baden-Baden: Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft, 2005).
- "Precaution in Recent World Trade Organization (WTO) Practice", in Protection of the environment for the new millennium / 2000 International Law Session. Institute of International Public Law and International Relations of Thessaloniki, Kalliopi Koufa, ed. (Thesaurus Acroasium XXXI, Athens: Sakkoulas Publications 2002) pp. 582-600.
Articles, Legal Briefs & Reports
- "Emission Trading: Lessons from SO2 and NOx Emission Allowance and Credit Systems - Legal Nature, Title, Transfer and Taxation of Emission Allowances and Credits" with C. Streck, 35 (2005) Environmental Law Reporter 10220.
- "The Precautionary Principle and the World Trade Organization: Moving towards Sustainable Development" with M.C. Cordonier Segger Queen's Law Journal Vol. 29 1 Fall 2003, pp. 133 - 175.
- "Prospects for Principles of International Sustainable Development Law after the WSSD: Common but Differentiated Responsibilities, Precaution and Participation" with M. C. Cordonier Segger, A. Khalfan & M. Toering Review of European Community and International Environmental Law (RECIEL) Vol. 12 No. 1, 2003, pp. 54-68.
- "The WTO Asbestos Cases and Precaution: Sustainable Development Implications of the WTO Asbestos Dispute" with M.C. Cordonier Segger, Oxford Journal of Environmental LawVol. 15 No. 3, 2003, pp. 289-321.
- "Sustainability Challenges of Paragraph 51 of the Doha Declaration", with A. Marong, 6 (2002) Bridges Journal No. 1, p. 17 pp.
- "Sustainable Development Angles to the Swordfish Dispute", with J. Cabrera, 5 (2001)Bridges Journal No. 7, at 13
- "Is WTO Law Becoming More Sustainable?" with M. Prost and M.C. Cordonier Segger, 5 (2001) Bridges Journal No. 8, at 21 pp.
- "Challenges and Options: Constructing a system to permit the participation of non-Parties to the Kyoto Protocol in a Carbon Fund" for the World Bank Legal Vice Presidency (October 2002)
- "Summary Report Workshop: Legal Implications of the Clean Development Mechanism on Host Countries: Legal Nature and Ownership of Emission Reductions - January 23-24, 2003, Washington DC" for the World Bank Legal Vice Presidency and the International Center for the Settlement of Investment Disputes, in cooperation with the World Bank Institute and the PCFplus Program.
- "The Legal Nature of SO2 and NOx Allowances in the U.S.A. and how it affects ownership, accounting and tax" World Bank Legal Vice Presidency (March 2003)
- "Counting Credits: Emissions Reduction Registries as a First Step toward Climate Change Regimes in North America" for the United Nations Environmental Programme - Regional Office for North America (April 2003)
- "Sustainable Developments in recent WTO law and 'jurisprudence'" for the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (October 2003)