skip to primary navigationskip to content

Graduate Student Resources

CamSIS applications

In order to manage intermitting, extending the date you are registered as a student (to enable you to defer your submission date), working away from Cambridge, or any other application, you will need to apply for permission from the University - applications must be approved by your Supervisor, your Department, your College, your Degree Committee and the Board of Graduate Studies.

You are in charge of tracking the administration of your application and ensuring it processes through each stage. Please see the flowchart below for an overview of the process and who to contact at each stage - 

Flowchart for apps


If you need to cancel an application whilst it is being administered, you will need to log onto your Self-Service pages to request this. If your application has already been approved, you will need to email

 Leave to Work Away 

As a registered graduate student you will need to apply to work away if at any time you plan to work away from Cambridge to conduct fieldwork, undertake work directly related to your studies or "write up" prior to submission of your thesis. 

You should apply to work away for all research absences over 2 weekseven if you are returning home to do research. 

**For trips less than 2 weeks you must still complete a Risk Assessment form if you are conducting research (see below).** 

It is very important that the University has a record of where you are when not in Cambridge. For those students sponsored under Tier 4, it is absolutely essential.

You should not consider leaving Cambridge without having received notification by email from the Student Registry that your application to work away has been approved. 

You can now apply for University Travel Insurance (which is free) prior to having your Leave to Work Away Approved - and for shorter trips which do not need LTWA. However, the Insurance does not cover Airbnb bookings. 

University Travel Insurance website

Risk Assessment Procedure

As part of research abroad, you must undertake a risk assessment. The Head of Department is responsible for ensuring that appropriate risk management is in place for the activities of graduate students; please see the links below for further information about the Department's procedure. 

 PhD Students

 MPhil Students

 Fieldwork Funding

PhD students who have been granted Leave to Work Away may also apply to receive funding towards their fieldwork costs; please see the link below for further information about the Department's procedure. 


Intermission is an agreed period of leave from study, for medical or non-medical reasons. Students remaining on the register of graduate students (so may use certain facilities) but are not actively studying. The link above contains all the information you need about intermission, including how to apply and any implications for visas. 

 Extending your End of Registration date

This is the new name for extending your submission date. If you have not yet submitted and wish to extend your 'End of Registration Date' you may apply to do so online using your Self-Service pages. This must be approved before the last day of your fourth year, else you will be automatically removed from the register. The link above contains all the information you need about extending your end of registration date, including how to apply and any conditions. 

Ethical Approval for Research

Information about the Department's ethics procedure, how to apply for approval and the forms you will need to complete. 

All students in the Department conducting research as part of their course must apply for ethical approval or confirm that ethical approval is not required.

 PhD Students

 MPhil Students