POLIS has established a PhD Fund to be used to award grants to POLIS PhD students on a competitive basis for conferences and fieldwork, subject to the conditions below
POLIS PhD students are welcome to apply to the fund but before you do so please read the terms of the fund outlined below to make sure that you are eligible. Please then complete the relevant application form and return it to the PhD administrator in the Graduate Office either by email (email@example.com) or UMS/post (Graduate Office, Department of Politics and International Studies, First Floor, Alison Richard Building, 7 West Road, Cambridge, CB3 9DT).
Applications for conferences are considered on a rolling basis. Applications for fieldwork are normally considered only after May/June of the first year following successful completion of the first year registration exercise.
Terms of the fund:
- The Fund will be used in support of POLIS graduate students registered for the PhD.
- During the period of study for the PhD, each student will be able to make either one application of £500, or two applications of £250 to the Fund for a contribution to the cost of fieldwork; and either one application of £500, or two applications of £250 to the Fund for a contribution to the cost of attending a conference.
- Students should look for other possible sources of funding besides the department.
- Students can apply to the fund for a contribution to the cost of fieldwork and/or a contribution to attending a conference subject to the conditions below.
- the student is presenting a paper (not a poster) and
- the student has applied for any available concessionary postgraduate places.
- Funding will be conditional on successful registration. The assessor’s reports will be taken into account.
- Applications for fieldwork will normally be made in the first year for fieldwork to be undertaken in their second year.
- Students can only apply for a contribution to fieldwork costs when return transport costs exceed £500
- The cost of accommodation whilst on fieldwork are ineligible as are per diems
- The Fund will not be used for bursaries or scholarships.
*Please note that should your application for funding be successful, you will need to provide a copy of your passport photo page to the PhD Secretary before your cheque can be issued.