Guidelines for 2016-17 for students wishing to take a one-year Part II in Politics and International Relations
Students wishing to take a one-year Part II in Politics and International Relations can take four papers across Part IIA and Part IIB.
Guidelines for papers taught every year
POL3: International Organisation
POL4: Comparative politics
POL5: Conceptual issues in politics and international relations
POL6: Statistics and methods in politics and international relations
POL7: The history of political thought to c. 1700
POL8: The history of political thought from c.1700 to c. 1890
POL 9: Conceptual issues and texts in politics and international relations
POL10: The history of political thought from c.1700 to c. 1890
POL11: Political philosophy and the history of political thought since c. 1890
History, Part II Paper 6: States between states: the history of international political thought from the Roman empire to the early twentieth century.
- A one-year Part II student can take any of POL3, POL4, POL5, POL6, POL7 and POL8.
- A one-year Part II student cannot take POL9 or Paper 6 of Part II of the Historical Tripos.
- A one-year Part II student can only take POL11 if s/he also takes POL7 or POL8 or has taken comparable papers in either the Philosophy Tripos or the Historical Tripos.
- A one-year Part II student who wishes to take the History of Political Thought from 1700-1890 should take the paper as POL8 not POL10.
Guidelines for variable IIB papers available in 2016-17
POL12: The Politics of the Middle East
POL13: The Politics of Europe
POL14: The Politics of Asia
POL15: The Politics of Africa
POL16: Conflict and peace-building
POL17: Politics and gender
POL18: The idea of a European union
POl19: China and the international order
- A one year-Part II student wishing to take any of POL12, POL13, POL14, POL15 and POL16 must also take POL4:
- A one year-Part II student wishing to take POL12 must in POL4 take the Middle East case study in Lent term.
- A one-year Part II student wishing to take POL18 must also take POL8.